Tuesday, September 6, 2011

A Year With Thomas Merton - August 31






In Your Kindness Dispose Me to Your Pleasure






August ending beautifully--bright days, relatively cool. Wonderful vista opened up at the end of the novitiate garden where I got Frater Gerard to cut down the walnut tree that was doing poorly and hiding the valley, woods and knobs into the bargain. Now a problem--the young beech tree that I put there myself. I suppose I must have the sense to transplant it.






Some annoyances, but they hardly matter. Bulldozer on that dam built ten years ago across the road, and now beginning to fall apart. A lot of banging in the new waterworks. I think all the mosquitoes are coming from the new reservoir--never so many in the dormitory as last year! An awful lot of idiot letters. And so on.






Do You Yourself in kindness dispose of me, my thoughts and actions, according to Your good pleasure, so that Your will may always be done by me and in me and concerning me." (St. Anselm)






August 31 and September 1, 1963, V.14

No comments:

Post a Comment