Saturday, September 10, 2011

A Year With Thomas Merton - August 26




Frater Aelred

Chuang Tzu said: "At the present time the whole world is under a delusion and, though I wish to go in a certain direction, how can I succeed in doing so? Knowing that I cannot do so, if I were to force my way, that would be another delusion. Therefore my best course is to let my purpose go and no more pursue it. If I do not pursue it, whom shall I have to share in my sorrow?"

On Monday Frater Aelred left, which was wise and the only solution--he was getting no education here and would only get into complications. So now he is gone and has left no memorial other than a spot of wine on the altar cloth--and the little India rubber eraser on which he carved my name so that with my ink pad I can stamp it on books, etc. I like the way it is done, rough and crude and simple.

August 5, 1960, IV.25

No comments:

Post a Comment