Monday, February 6, 2012

A Year With Thomas Merton - February 6








Every Next Instant Reveals God's Will


I can have one prayer--to belong to God, to be able to renounce the whole world and follow Him. I say that prayer now. When it pleases Him, He will show me what to do. When? Not next year, every next instant. I I love Him, I will hear.

Anima mea in manibus meis semper: "Constantly I take my life in my hands."

This is what I read in the Bible today:

Isaias 47:1 "Come down, sit in the dust, O virgin daughter of Babylon, sit on the ground: there is no throne for the daughter of the Chaldaeans, for thou shall not any more be called delicate and tender."

55:1 "All you that thirst, come to the waters; and you that have no money, make haste, buy, eat; come ye, buy wine and milk without money, and without any price."

58:10 "When thou shall pour out thy soul to the hungry and shall satisfy the afflicted soul, then shall thy light rise up in the darkness, and thy darkness shall be as noonday."

February 19, 1941, I.311

1 comment:

  1. Today's question: What does it mean to "renounce the whole world and follow Him." Did God not create the world as a gift to us? Of course we are required to use that gift in accordance with God's will, but renounce it altogether? Discuss.

    ReplyDelete